This year a friend made for us a kale salad which was so delicious it’s now Claire’s favorite salad! It’s simple and nutritious with awesome crunch. I made some minor modifications and hope you will try this recipe for family and company! Honey Crisp Apples are my favorite to use with this salad, but it’s seasonal so depending on where you live you may not find it. You can substitute with any apple but Fuji or a variety with slight tartness would work best.
KALE SALAD WITH ALMONDS AND APPLES
- Half bag of organic kale (5 oz)—finely chopped
- ¾ to 1 honey crisp apple—finely diced
- ¼ cup of honey roasted almond slices
- 2 tsp of honey (to coat wooden salad paddles); can substitute with pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 - 3 tbs of balsamic vinegar (I love gourmet Olive Tree traditional or flavored balsamic vinegar)
Combine chopped kale and apple into a wooden or any salad bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
Drizzle honey on the salad paddles, then toss the kale and apples. Sprinkle almond slices if desired, then gently toss once or twice before serving.